Logo RoSPA Logo

Find a Driver Assessment Near You

There are two different types of driver assessments:

  • Detailed driving assessments for people with a medical condition or disability which affects their driving, or who are returning to driving after an accident or injury, are provided by Driving Mobility Centres.

  • Simple driving assessments for people who just need a little help and advice on how to improve their driving by organisations such as RoSPA, the IAM and Local Authorities.

If you have a medical condition or disability which may affect your driving, you should take an assessment at a Driving Mobility Centre, rather than just a simple driving assessment or refresher training.

Driving Mobility Centre Assessments

Driving Mobility Centres have specially trained clinicians and Approved Driving Instructors (ADIs) to assess how a person’s condition or disability affects their driving and what help, including car adaptations, will enable them to continue to drive safely. This includes a medical assessment and an in-car driving assessment in a dual controlled car.

There are over 20 Mobility Centres in the UK. Many with outreach facilities, these centres are supported by the Department for Transport and include independent charities and NHS departments. 

You can self-refer by contacting your nearest centre, or by following the recommendation of a clinician, such as an Occupational Therapist or GP. Many  service users are signposted by the DVLA, Motability or the Police. The cost of a driving assessment will depend on whether you are self-referring or have been sign-posted by another organisation or healthcare professional. Your local centre will be able to advise.

Full details of Driving Mobility Centre Assessments are available from Driving Mobility (formerly known as the Forum of Mobility Centres) and Disability Action in Northern Ireland.

Simple Driving Assessment

Many organisations provide driving assessments for experienced drivers. Some (such as RoSPA or the IAM) operate in all parts of the country, while many local Councils run driver assessment schemes in their own areas.

This type of driving assessment usually involves a drive in your own car, on roads near where you live, for about 1 hour, with an assessor accompanying you. It is informal and confidential and you will receive a report about your driving, and advice about making improvements or taking further training if necessary. However, it does not include any form of medical assessment or advice.

If you drive for work, ask your employer if they could arrange a driver assessment or training course for you.

Find a Driving Assessment for your needs

Click on the relevant part of the map or on the links on the left of the page. If you have been referred to a mobility centre or you are concerned about a medical condition of disability that might affect your driving, look for a mobility centre driving assessment. If you are looking for a general check of your driving and some advice, look for a simple driving assessment.